Jul 28, 2010

First Summer---where my money at?

It seems like yesterday when I came to the states. But its been a year now. Not the most eventful year Ive had but its been a wonderful time. And academically, a thrilling time. I must say I enjoy a lot of things about this country, just like Im sure many of u do. I enjoy the freedom from over bearing adults, and the choice on how to live my life. I enjoy the friendliness of Americans. Esp their girls. I enjoy the fact that there is a lot of fun to be had. At every turn.
That was why I had high hopes for my first summer in this country. It was going to be the long break from skul that would allow me to savor all the wonders of this country, without real acada stress. Im took some summer classes, but we all kno summer skul is mostly fun, very lil work. And to cap it all, I had saved up a princely sum of three thousand dollars (thanx to a very generous scholarship I had gotten in my 2nd semester.) I was looking forward to ending summer school and taking a nice trip to NY or LA to flex with home boys and chill with the ladies before fall semester began. But all that is gone to dust. I mean, I still get to go to NY, but just bcos I have no choice, thats where my apartment is. Its hardly a vacay at all...all my money is gone.
It all started when spring semester ended. There was a month gap before summer skul would start. I had paid for summer housing, but for that one month, yours truly wanted to go to NY and chill. I had no $400 a week to pay for on campus accomodation for those four weeks. That doesnt count feeding. I would rather buy a flight with $300+ and come back when i wanted. But my over helpful Dean of Admissions will have none of it. "You dont have to spend money going to NY and back. I'll pay for ur stay until summer school starts...just give me ur student ID number."
And dumbass me chilled in the dorm for $400 a week. I still think to myself, 'what were u thinkin?' I mean, I could have easily rented a place off campus, but then i no get car cos freshmen are not allowed unless they're from out of state. Which I am, except I applied with a Naija address, so officially I wasnt going nowhere with a car (even tho i tried to get approved after I got my Manhattan apartment, they wouldnt let me. ). So I stayed my ass on campus, and shaa got through summer school. I would have been blissfully thinking my bill was paid long ago...until one day. My yankee female friend (as opposed to gf) had an outstanding balance and her student account was going to be dropped. She came to ask me for a loan. How much? $900. I was almost ready to loan her at least five hundred, cos she had few options (hers is another story..which I will share later). Until I decided to check my own student account, just for the heck. So wetin nigger no fit shout when I saw a fat $2,200 balance sitting right there, and my account held until payment was made. I was like 'Fcuk me!' Then came the run around. I kept going back to Dean but suddenly, he was in all sorts of meetings. I mean, its the freaking summer! No one goes to meeting everyday, morn to night...when skul is out. For a whole week, he couldnt be caught in his office. Sotee, his secretary started making snide remarks, telling me that I'd better "go start flipping burgers" if I wanted to pay that hold off. I swear, she said it to my hearing. I couldnt even talk to her after that, I mean, Im an international student from Africa doesnt mean I cant pay ur fuckin salary, on a very good day. (#okay i really cant, but what the hell...I can make a hella down payment. ) All Im saying is that I finally had to pay it myself. That, and other natural charges that I had personally incurred meant all my money was gone. And even now, the man hasnt even bothered to ask me "what happened to ur bill?"
Luckily, my dad sent me my fall semester money a lil early so I can still go back to NY. If not, where man pikin for dey till skul starts? And that taught me a new lesson. Just bcos we're no longer in Nigeria, where ppl lie like they need it to stay alive, doesnt mean liars aint here in the US. It doesnt mean ppl will always mean what they say every time. I had begun to relax my guard and trust Americans' word cos I felt they were more reliable than Nigerians most times. But I just got the reminder that its not the place, its the person. So Im back to watching my back all the time. That way, I wont be caught unawares.

NB: Anyone had any experiences of being screwed over by people who should have done better...outside naija? Share with me pls

3 comments:

  1. I like where u said it's not the place but the person, am sorry about what happened and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog.

    I can't say something like this has ever happened to me, am naturally wary of trusting people so it's really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha as long as you're dealing with humans, keeping your expectations low is the way to go. Glad you found la soluzione to el problemo. And happy 1 year anniversaire

    ReplyDelete
  3. @messiah, thanks bro. i'll take that advice anytime...
    @azazel, i wouldnt expect anything less from u...ur too wary of human nature to be disappointed any further. loll

    ReplyDelete