Oct 29, 2010

My American Life vs. My Nigerian Life

If ur close to me in any way, you'll probably have heard me say time and time again "America aint shit". And not that Im hating on this country, which is amazing, when u think about the geographical, racial and cultural diversity they have to keep running together in some type of orderly manner. All Im saying is, compared to my life in Nigeria, am really not having the best of times. Lemme give u details.
1. In Nigeria, Im almost never broke. I mean, there are always days when I wasnt too bouyant or my wallet could be seeing better days. But my account was almost always kinda healthy since I paid for little, and could always walk up to my dad for a lil 'hand-out'. Here, my dad could care less, unless its something important, the pocket money I receive has to do. And Im ALWAYS paying for something. Somehow, the thing adds up to me almost always thinking how long before the money on me runs out. Not a good thing. 

2. In Nigeria, my days and my time were mine to work with. I loved the pace (which was slow) and the way it seems my life actually was in my control. In America, it seems am always racing against some time machine or deadline or something. And even though I love the fast pace sometimes, I wonder if I wont go the way all America goes and have a heart attack when Im barely fifty. And Im not even working yet.

3. In Nigeria, the girls had substance. I admit they were also much harder to get, much more demanding and a tad boring. Just a teeny tad. Compensating for all that, Nigerian girls are more mature, strong, and smart enough to talk and be deep friends with whether yu guys are having sex or not. In America, the ones that you can talk with, dont want sex. The ones that want sex cant hold a decent conversation. The ones that can do both comfortably...are gay. 

4. Back home, I didnt have much but I actually felt richer than I do now. It seems no matter how much money you have in America, its never enough.

5. In Nigeria, school was harder. This is one area I think being in America is the most awesome thing to happen to me. I loooove the way they teach, I love doing tests online and the confidence that I know am seeing a fat A when that paper returns. And to think that if I happen to go back home, I still get the preferential treatment. Talk about winning both ways.

6. I can do what I want in America. I actually have the full understanding that my life is what I make of it. In Nigeria, my parents, esp my father and my annoying sisters ran my life. TOTALLY, including how many times I could legally gas before I started paying the fine of 100 naira per fart.

7. I was hardly the type to party in Naij. I mean we went to friends places, or high school parties or in our house in the village. but I never went to a club for one time in my life back home. Here in America, the party animal in me came out and blossomed. And Im loving it arrrghh!! (so gimme that) lol

8. In Nigeria I spoke fluent English and Ibo. I still speak fluent Ibo. My English on the other hand is an atrocity right now. I catch myself speaking ebonics at the wrongest moments, like in totally all the wrong moments. Insert>> interview, presentation, what not.

9. I used to be a romantic. America has so opened my eyes, though I like to believe that somewhere inside, that romantic is still chilling. 

10. In Nigeria, I never thought anything about people's opinions. Now, I still dont give a shit about what people think. Yea, I never cursed in Nigeria. but language aside, that is one area nothing has changed about me. Ask my sisters back home. Or ask my friends here now. El doesnt listen to any damn body but his own. 

So thats it. Theres a lot more things different about here and home. But I would never change one for the other cos they're awesome in their different ways. And Im glad to be in both. At different times, anyways. Peace out yall. Lemme hear ur thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. i understand what you mean about being always on a deadline and i love it!!

    anyways i can hold a conversation and i'm only half gay so you see half a win and no mater what you can barely catch me slanging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. It's like five years of not being in Nigeria has finally made me out-dated for this to be news to me. The change is amazing. Great blog!



    --
    call Nigeria

    ReplyDelete