Oct 6, 2010

Nigeria IS Fifty


iWish

some people could know the difference between

Optimism

and 

Naiveity.
If I choose, I can be all lovey-dovey and #letslookonthelightside of dark things. Nigeria certainly has enuf critics that any voice of appreciation is welcome. I sincerely appreciate the appreciaters. But shit, this is my blog and Im not feeling appreciative of Nigeria right now, so if that makes me a hater, dang, hater I am then.But only thing Im gonna spew here is shit that I feel, no lace ups, enuf edits to make grammatical sense, no more. 
That said, what did we celebrate 50 years of?? Only one thing: that we're not dead yet, and that we're still in this together. Every other thing is either a failure, or close to it. A few success stories here and there, a few shining spots in the darkness does not remove anything from the fact that we live in a country where nothing works, no one stands for anything, people fuck each other over, conditions are squalid..like the whole country is a whole fucking ghetto. There, I said it and Im Nigerian. Crucify me, if yall please.

Im not surprised that people run away from Nigeria, some of them die under plane wheels or in d desert. I dont blame them at all. Im surprised everyone hasnt left already. Im wondering what keeps them? And then I realise that its that most indispensable of human traits: hope. Thats what lines every cloud with a silver lining. Whether our hopes are rightly placed or not is a different discussion. But to me, our 50th anniversary should be a celebration of the 'audacity of hope'. A proclamation that we might be tortuously existing now, but we know who we are, and we can do better. Its a time to wipe of the slate, and begin again. If the old guard will let us. 
My hope doesnt lie in government. Those fucks can have their 72 million naira cakes anyway, we are sick and tired of harping about their thievings already. Anyone who can light fireworks while 15 innocent children are held hostage should resign from d human race and die already. And dont even tell me abt the fact that they were released...even if they werent would the celebrations not have gone on? I tell you, the day God will judge Nigeria, it will be hot on all of us cos d bloodstain on our flag is beyond cleaning. 

My hope lies in the common man. The youth especially. The old generation has gradually succumbed to the glass ceiling, and put a limit to their aspirations. They have decided that they cannot remove this government. They have given up. But the young have seen beyond that. We have stretched our wings with Nollywood, our music industry and our businesses and we have realised that we can rule the sky. So we are not ready to live under chains.  We are the hope of Nigeria. And that is the only reason why, on October 1st 2010, I had the nerve to open my twitter page and wish all my Nigerians a #Happy50thAnniversary
Peace out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment