Nov 22, 2010

To That American Who wants to Know How To Be My Friend

The first thing you do is to forget that Im African
Second, you must never forget that Im African

You should be able to dig "African Queen"
but dont always play it whenever I come around
And if you decide to play Beethoven-dont tell me his life story
I listen to old dead European musicians too

Dont apologize to me when TV shows
depict Africa as a savage land with naked Kings on threadbare thrones
Its your ignorance
I know where Im from.

And when an African shows up as we walk along
accent and all
Dont ask me if I know him
from home
Do you know that guy that sells Chipotle on 42nd street?

And if you really think Africans make better lovers, 
dont tell me
I start thinking of charging call fees.

All Im saying is, if you want to be my friend
Dont make a labour of it.
Im just a regular guy
I happen to come from Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment