Aug 3, 2010

If I Fail, If I Succeed


Its surprising how little things can become major influences in our lives. A little change can be all you need to make a big difference. For the past few months, Ive been working on two things repeatedly and not making much success. And I knew why. I was stuggling to do by myself things that I wasnt the most qualified for. I was passionate about them but passion without ability tends to lead to frustration.

I talked to my dad about it. In his usual manner he saw right down to the core of the matter. "You need to find someone who does it better and let them take the responsibility of bringing it to fruition."

I didnt want to do that, cos I was scared that that would undermine my own sense of accomplishment and my ownership of the idea. But my dad encouraged me to take the step and trust someone. In his own words "in the world of business, there is no guarantee people wont betray your trust. But only from them will u learn who to trust and who not to trust. Let someone execute your idea, it remains yours but of course you will share ownership. No one ever made it in life, solely on their own merit. Thats why people hire workers, and partners, and assistants. Its time to stop being a lone wolf."


He said so much more, but in the end, he let me know that you may not trust people, but dont act like it until they give u reason not to. So I agreed. I took a step of faith. And though its a little bit too early, it looks like it was the right thing to do. So Im taking more and more steps. Lets see how it goes...someone say a prayer for me.


Shalom

2 comments:

  1. Your father was quite wise in his advice. It's similar to the old wisdom- No man is an island unto himself. As a former business owner though, your instincts are key when it comes to trust. Listen carefully to them. I wish you best in your endeavors,and hope they come to fruition. Thank you for stopping by my blog the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you too. and i really appreciate the insight..im sure it would be of gr8 help.
    u said 'former' so y dont u own a business no more?

    ReplyDelete