Aug 4, 2010

Random Reflections

My body is tired from the long day I had, but my mind is still so hyper-active. So lying on my bed, stretched out comfortably, I blog
I reflect on how much fun I had today. Rockefeller Center, the Mall, visiting friends all over the city. I met up with Jaz (a babe i met on New Year eve) and we finally went for a drink. At starbux, lol, during her break time. And then in the evening, we went to the movies. I finally saw Inception, and I must say, that is one awesome movie!!
Jaz and I finally buried evrything so as we left the theater, she hugged me and entered the taxi. As she sped off, I knew that was prolly that last time we would see each other. "We'll keep in touch", she'd said, but i had deleted her number before I got to the intersection and descended the stairs to the subway. Let bygones be bygones.
I think about the dude i saw lying on the sidewalk on a makeshift bed made from flattened out cartons. His eyes were closed, and he had a blanket draped across his torso. His sleep was deep, carefree and peaceful. Beside him was a cup with coins in it, and a plaque that read "Homeless and Broke. Donations Please". I wondered if he would look so peaceful when he was awake. I put one dollar in the coin. Its the first time I'll give to the homeless since I came to the US.

Right now, Im looking at the stuff I bot at the mall. The jeans are typically tight, not leg hugging tight, but enough to make the boys down south sneer. I bought two, to get more later. I got an Omega chain wristwatch and an adidas water resistant one, for swimming. They were pretty expensive. As I look at them, the words "Homeless and Broke." swim across my eyes. I refuse to feel guilty.

I reflect on the facebook chat I had with a revolutionary African American school mate of mine. He is waking up to some things and wants my mentorship. I feel kinda honored that he thinks im worth being listened to, but i try to let him knw Im not all that. He still believes Im good enuf, so i thank him and promised to try to live up to expectations.

Finally, I think about Bradley Manning. In case you dont knw about him, hes a US Army private that is accused of supplying WikiLeaks with classified military documents showing that US committed war crimes. Now, he is facing 52 years in prison. An organisation has sprung up to raise money and mobilise people for his defense. Their rally cry is :Exposing war crimes is not a crime. I sympathise with him, and commend his courage. Thats why Im putting the link to the site here, just in case u feel like contributing to his cause.

Well, thats it folks. Ive unburdened my mind. Im going to bed now. Sleep well, and have a wonderful tomorrow. Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment