Aug 3, 2010

Obama and Young African Leaders

I forgot who said that "There is nothing more encouraging, more inspiring, and more revolutionary as a young generation taking their fate into their own hands." Thats how I felt today, as I watched Mr. Obama engage young African leaders in a forum in the white house today. Thanks to technology, it was streaming live on facebook. Few years ago, we would still be waiting for newspapers to carry it.

Anyway, I was impressed with how articulate, how intelligent and how powerful the youngsters were as they expressed their views and opinions on the current state of events in Africa. And Obama in his usual charisma, didnt fail to praise their efforts. "You are the heirs of the year of Africa, 196o..the successors of the vision of nationalists who made it possible for you to be born in free nations. As they inspired you, so will you provide inspiration to the next generation."

Obama considers himself and people his age as too old to be the ones powering African continent. He believes that he needs to reach even younger people. Talk about vision. Our own leaders want to stay in power even till they are ninety. They consider a fifty year old too inexperienced and young to lead a country. They wont hear Obama when he says "I, and people in my generation are too old to be the powerhouses." They wont learn to trust the winds of progress. Why should they when it will render them irrelevant.

And when one person raised the question of the brain drain, I loved Obama's answer. "Its about what you choose. It may be more risky to go home, because you dont have well defined chances of success and things may go both ways, but you're probably going to make more impact. And you have more chances for growth. Staying in a foreign land is the 'safe' way to go, but going back home may be a more fruitful thing." That made me raise more questions about myself. Do I want to make impact, or play it safe? Am I brave enough to face the uncertainties of going back home, or will I take the cowards way out? I kno yall think bcos I put it that way it makes the choice easier. It doesnt. Only time will tell. Only time...

I especially loved the question asked by a girl from somalia : "How much support do we expect from the world out there? And I mean not just financial aid, cos that is so easy to do, but humane, back up support, a voice that can hear when we call, a hand ready to help when we need it?"
I couldnt get Obama's answer cos the woman cleaning my apartment suddenly carried her vaccuum cleaner over to where i sat so i couldnt hear nothing again. not even with my lil ipod earphone. See frustration! And at the exact time Obama finished answerin the question, she put the thing off. Ah Ah! And by that time, the forum was ended.
On a lighter note, did anyone see the awesomeness of the clothing worn by all the delegates, male and female. One that especially caught my eye was the purple gown worn by one beautiful girl from Mali. Then when she spoke, omg, her french, her voice, Ah! iM IN LOVE!! er, sorry, i digress.
In my own opinion, the forum was a success. I dont entirely trust the US' intentions. Exactly what kind of partnership can exist between a weaker and a stronger power except a parasitic one? But at least it gives the young people of Africa much needed exposure, motivation, and inspiration to work harder and follow their dreams. Let the old folk watch out. A revolution is boiling.
May we all live to see the day when young men and women in Nigeria and Africa will hold the reins of economic and politcal development . And on that day, may I see you there. Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment